The goal of this paper is to present the current landscape of third-party litigation financing in the United States—namely, patent disputes, as well as a brief insight into the litigation funding business. In the last ten years, patent litigation brought by patent trolls has increased, creating a significant problem. First, this paper explains the basic rules of federal civil procedure that relate to deciding which court will hear a patent case. Next, this paper discusses the Nimitz case before the United States District Court for the District of Delaware, which gained publicity due to the non-disclosure of certain facts by Nimitz’s counsel to the court. Finally, the author recognizes problems raised after the Nimitz case in connection to third-party litigation financing.
- Albarazi Hannah, “When A Litigation Funder Is Accused Of Taking Over The Case”, March 2023, available at: https://www.law360.com/articles/1584860/when-a-litigation-funder-is-accused-of-taking-over-the-case, 19. 4. 2023.
- Connolly Colm, “Standing Order Regarding Disclosure Statements Required By Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 7.1”, April 2022, available at: https://www.ded.uscourts.gov/sites/ded/files/Standing%20Order%20Regarding%20Disclosure%20Statements.pdf, 17. 4. 2023.
- Davis Ryan, “Apple Shuts Down Stores in EDTX, But Will Other Cos. Follow?”, February 2019, available at: https://www.law360.com/articles/1131879, 17. 4. 2023.
- Downes Larry, “The U.S. Supreme Court is Reining in Patent Trolls, Which is a Win for Innovation”, Harvard Business Review, June 2017, available at: https://hbr.org/2017/06/the-u-s-supreme-court-is-reining-in-patent-trolls-which-is-a-win-for-innovation, 17. 4. 2023.
- Garner Bryan A. (ed.), Black’s Law Dictionary, 11th edition, St. Paul, 2019.
- Kass Dani, “Del. Judge Lists Red Flags To Justify Funding Probe”, December 2022, available at: https://www.law360.com/articles/1554211/del-judge-lists-red-flags-to-justify-funding-probe, 17. 4. 2023.
- Lemley Mark A., Melamed A. Douglas, “Missing The Forest For The Trolls”, Columbia Law Review, Vol. 113, Nr. 8/2013.
- Masur Jonathan S., Larrimore Ouellette Lisa, Patent Law: Cases, Problems, and Materials, 2nd Edition, 2022.
- Patel Aakash, “Nimitz Patent Fight Offers Peek Behind NPE Liability Curtain”, February 2023, available at: https://www.law360.com/articles/1574889, 17. 4. 2023.
- Ray Korok, “Third-Party Funding of Patent Litigation: Problems and Solutions”, June 2022, available at: https://ssrn.com/abstract=4125510, 16. 4. 2023.
- Stroud Jonathan, “Third-Party Litigation Funding: Disclosure to Courts, Congress, and the Executive”, February 2023, available at: https://patentlyo.com/patent/2023/02/litigation-disclosure-executive.html, 16. 4. 2023.
- Taylor Paul, “Disclosing High Roller Bankrolling in the Patent Litigation Casino: The Need to Regulate Third Party Litigation Financing”, May 2022, available at: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=4099537, 16. 4. 2023.